Saturday, January 30, 2010

One Hour Film Studies

Recently I had the chance to speak with a wonderful artist by the name of Jeff Turley. Lately I have been at a stand still with my work. Mostly due to my work schedule and life in general. I have still been sketching and doing random stuff, but nothing to brag about. Mr. Turley introduced me to film studies. I know it may seem like a simple concept and I punched myself in the face for not discovering it earlier, but it is a wonderful new way to explore composition, color, temperature, values, proportion and all other components of what makes a good piece.
Each of the studies that I painted, were completed in exactly one hour. By deticating this amount of time to one piece allows you to focus on more than the main subject, but rather every component that makes up the scene. From the far background blurry images, to the middle ground images and then the foreground images. Every component begins to become just shapes and color blocks. I didn't focus on the small details until I had completed the majority of the piece.
From the bottom to the top, I was able to see a progression in each of the pieces. But I am going to continue to do these studies.

Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment